Traditional flame retardants are often associated with environmental risks
Many of the flame retardants that are available on the market today have very negative health and environment attributes. Deflamo would like to change this.
There are many leading flame retardants, particular those that are halogen based, which have negative health and environmental attributes. However, a number of the most hazardous brominated compounds have been prohibited as a result of national legislation as well as initiatives within the EU, for examples the chemical legislation of REACH and RoHS.
More and more companies and manufacturers are choosing to phase out halogen-based flame retardants voluntarily, much to the benefit of alternative technologies such as Apyrum. The reason for this change is growing opinion as well as policy decisions concerning health and the environment.
Environmentally certified flame retardant
The original idea behind Apyrum was to develop a flame retardant with environmental certification. This resulted in a product based only on substances existing in nature and which, for thousands of years, had been in contact with plants, nature, and humans. This idea still remains our beacon in the development of new products and processes.
Best protection and least environmental impact
In a Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) study that screened40 different flame retardants, Apyrum ranked best in test regarding total environmental properties and flame retardant function. According to CML2001, the environmental analysis was carried out by the English environmental instistute Gnosys. The complete analysis can be downloaded här.
- Apryum consists of environmentally-friendly raw materials that are in very good commercial supply. Among other things they are used on a large scale in the food industry, and therefore Apyrum could be classified as a foodstuff.
- Apyrum is biodegradable and breaks down into the usual components found in nature without leaving any hazardous residue.
- The combustion of Apyrum solely results in the production of CO2 och H2O. In addition, during thermal decomposition, Apyrum’s properties reduce the development of dangerous gases that usually form in untreated material.
- The production of Apyrum is usually handled by highly-qualified and specialized actors within the chemical industry.
- Apyrum is not classified under existing legislation, which makes possible a good and safe working environment. There is neither the need to wear sophisticated working gear nor the need to follow special environmental regulations when using Apyrum.